Patient Rights Document - Consultation
- Like all health regulatory Colleges in Ontario, the College of Naturopaths of Ontario has a Patient Relations Committee that is responsible for enhancing relations between patients and Members (as per the Health Professions Procedural Code under the Regulated Health Professions Act).
- As one of the newer regulatory Colleges, we are working to expand our patient relations program, including information for patients.
- The Committee considers it important that patients understand their rights when consulting and being treated by an ND and has developed a draft one-page Patient Rights handout to be provided by naturopaths to new and existing patients. (You can access it at the bottom of this page.)
- We also know from research conducted with patients in Ontario that they expect to know their rights and want to be informed of, and involved in, decisions about their care and treatment.
- The plan is to make the Patient Rights document available for download on our website (and to email a copy to all NDs in Ontario) with the recommendation that NDs share it with all new and existing patients.
What we would like to know from College Members*
Your feedback and any recommendations about the Patient Rights handout.
- Any other ideas you have about what you would like your patients to know when it comes to their rights.
- Any other kind(s) of information you think NDs could/should be sharing with their patients?
- How you would ideally want to provide this kind of information to your patients, e.g., first office visit, on display in waiting room, handed out as available, emailed to them, posted on Colleges' websites, posted & framed on clinic wall, etc?
*Note: Feedback from stakeholders and members of the public is also welcomed via email, fax or regular mail. The College will also be seeking public input on the Patient Rights document from the Citizen Advisory Group, formed to bring the patient voice and perspective to health care regulation in Ontario.
How to provide feedback
Feedback can be provided in the following ways:
1. Completing this short survey: Patient Rights Survey
2. Sending an email, fax or letter to:
College of Naturopaths of Ontario
150 John Street, 10th Floor
Toronto, ON M5V 3E3
All feedback must be received no later than January 30, 2019.
Documents for download