Accepting the Delegation of a Controlled Act
When accepting a delegation of a controlled act from another regulated health professional naturopaths must follow the rules in Part III (Delegation) of the General Regulation. The following summarizes the requirements around:
- conditions before performing a delegated controlled act;
- making and recording a delegation; and
- contents of the record of delegation.
A naturopath can only accept a delegation of a controlled act if:
- The delegation is made by a member of another regulated health profession.
- And that regulated health professional is authorized to perform the controlled act under the health profession Act governing his or her profession.
A naturopath cannot accept the delegation from someone who was delegated the performance of a controlled act by yet another person.
Conditions before Performing a Delegated Controlled Act
Before performing any delegated controlled act, a naturopath must have:
- The knowledge, skill and judgment to perform the controlled act safely and ethically.
- A naturopath-patient relationship with the person on whom the controlled act will be performed.
- Considered whether the delegation is appropriate and in the patient’s best interests and needs.
- Taken reasonable steps to ensure, and is satisfied that, sufficient safeguards and resources are available for the controlled act to be performed safely and ethically.
- No reason to believe that the regulated health professional delegating the controlled act is not permitted to do so.
- Ensured that any conditions on the performance of the controlled act have been met.
Making and Recording a Delegation
A naturopath who is performing a delegated controlled act shall record the particulars of the delegation in the patient’s record, except in any of the following cases:
- A written record of the particulars of the delegation is available where the controlled act will be performed.
- A written record of the particulars of the delegation, or a copy, is present in the patient’s record.
- The particulars of the delegation have already been recorded in the patient record.
Contents of the Record of Delegation
The record of a delegation must contain the:
- Date the delegation was made.
- Name of the person making the delegation to the naturopath
- Name of the naturopath accepting the delegation.
- Any conditions that apply to the delegation.